yourimagetitle
yourimagetitle
yourimagetitle
yourimagetitle
yourimagetitle

Adsense

Adsense

Adesense

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Theists and Atheists' Deathbed Tells The Truth



No matter how heavy is load of testimonials we parade in different forms of media, and libraries we could not avoid the reality that regardless of age, social status, gender and education there are still people whose heart are clouded with disbelief about the mystery of death.  The unbeliever would basically say to the believers, “Prepare food and wine sumptuously, eat and drink, for tomorrow we will die!"  

Is it not nice to hope that there’s unimaginable glory of a second life after death than veiling our thoughts with the assumption that life is all what we make it here on earth and nothing more beyond this after we breathe our last?

Nevertheless, despite the reluctant heart of the few especially the atheists, I continue to do this evangelization to untiringly proclaim that there’s a gift of a second life that awaits everyone.  I’ve been doing this not for personal satisfaction (although there is fulfillment and gratification in here especially when people appreciate) but because I know personally how it feels to be rejected especially when it comes to the entry to God’s Heavenly Abode.  

In all honesty, creating this write up is not an easy task which entails heart, mind and conscience to come up with something that may bequeath hopes for edification than division and hatred to any religious affiliation.  My eyes complain working this on computer but my mind, heart and conscience pull me to do this tirelessly.  It even came to the point that I applied to different affiliate programs hoping that I could earn through placing their advertisements on my website on the thought that if this turns to be productive I don’t need a full time job anymore, to have focus on this ministry which has been developed through my engagement in Friends of the Divine Mercy but unfortunately placement of advertisement (as you see in here) does not work out as forecasted.

I’ve been in sales almost half of my life where rejection ratio is 10:1 and you could imagine how we exercise our creativity and resourcefulness to at least get that unique one (1) potential client out of ten (10) rejections.  It’s painful to be cast off on earth; what more if it is deprivation of admission to second life in heaven brought by disbelief.   Is it not nice to visualize that after we retire of this age, we could at last embrace God who creates this life that we have been enjoying in this earth?  If we’re yearning to see our loved ones after we have been disconnected with them for a long time because of our professions and personal errand, can’t you feel the same desire to  personally thank God physically for all the enjoyment we nourish at home, career, community, church and environment?

Let me quote what the writer says, “A man may live a lie but his deathbed tells the truth.” 

Mother Theresa of Culcutta (1910-1997)"How can I be afraid of death? I desire it; I await it because it allows me finally to return."

Pope John Paul II “Let me go to the house of the Father.” The pontiff died six hours later. 
  
Apostle Paul said, "For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.(Philippians 1:21), and "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"(1 Corinthians 15:55)

Adoniram Judson, American missionary to Burma said,  “I go with the gladness of a boy bounding away from school. I feel so strong in Christ.”

Augustus Toplady, preacher and author of the hymn, “Rock of Ages”: “The consolations of God to such an unworthy wretch are so abundant that He leaves me nothing to pray for but a continuance of them. I enjoy heaven already in my soul.”

Charles Spurgeon, beloved preacher and author, on his deathbed he said  “I can hear them coming!”  He sat straight up in bed and asked: “Don’t you hear them?  This is my coronation day.  I can see the chariots, I’m ready to board.”

Dwight Moody, the famous Christian, shortly before he died says, “Earth recedes. Heaven opens before me. If this is death, it is sweet! There is no valley here. God is calling me, and I must go.” And Moody’s son said, “No, no, Father. You’re dreaming.” And Moody responded, “I am not dreaming. I have been within the gates. This is my triumph; this is my coronation day! It is glorious!”

John A. Lyth, “Can this be death? Why, it is better than living! Tell them I die happy in Jesus!”

John Knox, Scottish clergyman and founder of the Presbyterian Church was asked on his deathbed:  “Hast thou any hope?”  Unable to speak, he slowly lifted up his arm, and with his index finger pointed heavenward, and with a peaceful countenance he died.

John Pawson, minister:  “I know I am dying, but my deathbed is a bed of roses. I have no thorns planted upon my dying pillow. In Christ, heaven is already begun!”

Lady Glenorchy“If this is dying, it is the pleasantest thing imaginable.”

Martha McCrackin “How bright the room! How full of angels!”

Mary Frances “Oh, that I could tell you what joy I possess! The Lord does shine with such power upon my soul!”

President George Washington, “Doctor, I am dying, but I am not afraid to die.”  With his folded hands over his chest  he said: “It is well.”

Sir David Brewster, scientist and inventor of the kaleidoscope: “I will see Jesus; I shall see Him as He is! I have had the light for many years. Oh how bright it is! I feel so safe and satisfied!”

Sir Michael Faraday, (brilliant English scientist 1791 – 1867), when asked shortly before his death:  “What are your speculations now?”  He answered:  I have no speculations.  I rest upon Jesus Christ who died, and rose again from death.”

In Contrast, let’s try to distinguish how atheists and non-believers utter their last words on their deathbed:

Adams, the unfaithful said: “I’m lost, lost, lost.  I am damned forever.”  His anguish was so great that as he died, he ripped the hair from his head.

Aldamont, the infidel: "My principles have poisoned my friend; my extravagance has beggared my boy; my unkindness has murdered my wife. And is there another hell yet ahead?"

Anton LeVey is the author of the Satanic Bible and high priest who is fanatical on the worship of Satan. One of his renowned quotations say, “There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised”. His dying words were "Oh my, oh my, what have I done, there is something very wrong…there is something very wrong….”

Caesar Borgia, "I have provided, in the course of my life, for everything except death; and now, alas! I am to die, although entirely unprepared!"

Charles Darwin, near his death, he said:  “I regret that I suggested a theory, and that gullible men gobbled it up, as though it were fact.  I never intended that.”

Charles IX, was the French king who was exhorted by his mother, ordered the carnage of the French Huguenots, in which 15,000 souls were massacred in Paris alone and 100,000 in other regions of France, for no other reason except that they were believers of Christ. The guilty king suffered miserably for years after the crime. He died, bathed in blood bursting from his veins. In his last hours he said to his doctors: "Asleep or awake, I see the mangled forms of the Huguenots passing before me. They drop with blood. They point at their open wounds. Oh! That I had spared at least the little infants at the bosom! What blood! I know not where I am. How will all this end? What shall I do? I am lost forever! I know it. Oh, I have done wrong."

Clarence Darrow, the Scopes Trial lawyer in the famous 1925 debate on his deathbed entreated several clergymen to “please intercede for me with the Almighty. During my life I have spoken many times against Christians, and I now realize that I may have been wrong.”

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, on his death bed  he said, "I am in flames!" It is said his "desperation was a horrible scene".

David Strauss, leading representative of German rationalism, after spending a lifetime removing belief in God from others’ minds: "My philosophy leaves me utterly forlorn! I feel like one caught in the merciless jaws of an automatic machine, not knowing at what time one of its great hammers may crush me!"

Edward Gibbon, author of the 'Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire'“All is lost, irrecoverably lost. All is dark and doubtful.”

Honore Mirabeau, a leading political organizer of the French Revolution: "My sufferings are intolerable: I have in me a hundred years of life, but not a moment's courage. Give me more laudanum, that I may not think of eternity! 0 Christ, 0 Jesus Christ!"

Nietzsche, died insane, completely out of his mind.

John Donne, the English author, wrote: "Death is a bloody conflict and no victory at last; a tempestuous sea, and no harbor at last; a slippery height and no footing; a desperate fall and no bottom!"

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Abraham Lincoln: "Useless! Useless! The terrors before me!"

Josef Stalinwho slaughtered many millions of his countrymen, in a Newsweek interview with his daughter Svetlana Stalin, the latter told of her father's death: "My father died a difficult and terrible death. . God grants an easy death only to the just. . At what seemed the very last moment he suddenly opened his eyes and cast a glance over everyone in the room. It was a terrible glance, insane or perhaps angry. . His left hand was raised, as though he were pointing to something above and bringing down a curse on us all. The gesture was full of menace. . The next moment he was dead."

Julian the Apostate (Roman emperor who hated Christians), was leading his forces in the battle for Persia in 363 AD.  He was fatally wounded, and on his deathbed in the battlefield, picked up some of his own blood, mixed with dirt, hurled it skyward and said:  “Thou hast conquered oh Galilean.” (a reference to Jesus).

Karl Marxon his deathbed surrounded by candles flaming to Lucifer and yelled at his nurse who asked him if he had any last words, “Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough.”

Mazarin, French cardinal and adviser to kings: "0 my poor soul! What will become of thee? Wither wilt thou go?"

M.F. Rich, "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!" 

Mohandas K. Gandhi, roughly 15 years before his death he wrote: "I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism, as I know it, entirely satisfies my soul, fills my whole being, and I find a solace in the Bhagavad and Upanishads." Just before his death, Gandhi wrote: "My days are numbered. I am not likely to live very long-perhaps a year or a little more. For the first time in fifty years I find myself in the slough of despond. All about me is darkness; I am praying for light."

Napoleon Bonaparte, the French emperor, and who, like Adolf Hitler, brought death to millions to satisfy his greedy, power-mad, selfish ambitions for world conquest, "I die before my time, and my body will be given back to the earth. Such is the fate of him who has been called the great Napoleon. What an abyss between my deep misery and the eternal kingdom of Christ!”

Phineas T. Barnum, the famous circus showman of yesteryear, died in his 82nd year, his last words were a question about the big show's gate receipts at their latest Madison Square Garden performance. Then he was gone!

Ptolemy Philadelphus, one of the generals of Alexander the Great, inherited Egypt and lived a selfish life amid riches and comfort. He was haunted by the fear of death as he grew old, and even sought the teachings secret of eternal life from the  Egyptian priests. One day, witnessing a beggar lying satisfied under sunshine, Ptolemy said, "Alas, that I was not born one of these!"

Queen Elizabeth, grabbed the doctor by the sleeve and pulled him down over her bed and said:  “Half of the British Empire for six month of life.”  He could not even bestow her six minutes then she died.

Robert Ingersoll, noted lecturer and anti-Christian, on his deathbed he said:  “Life is the cold and barren value between two eternal peaks.  I strive in vain to see beyond the distant height.  I cry out and the only answer I hear is the echo of my empty wail. From the voiceless lips of the unreplying dead there comes no word. O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!")

Rousseau, "No man dares to face death without fear."

Severus, Roman emperor who caused the death of thousands of Christians, "I have been everything; and everything is nothing!"

Sir Francis Newport ,the head of an English Atheist club, to those gathered around his deathbed: "You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell! …Oh, that I could lie for a thousand years upon the fire that is never quenched, to purchase the favor of God and be united to Him again. But it is a fruitless wish. Millions and millions of years will bring me no nearer the end of my torments than one poor hour. Oh, eternity, eternity forever and forever!, Oh, the insufferable pangs of Hell!”

Sir Julian Huxley, English evolutionist, biologist and loyal atheist, on his deathbed:  “So it is true after all, so it is true after all.”

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England "Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty."

Tallyrand was one of the most cunning French political leaders of the Napoleonic era. On a paper found at his death were these words: "Behold eighty-three passed away! What cares! What agitation! What anxieties! What ill-will! What sad complications! And all without other results except great fatigue of mind and body, a profound sentiment of discouragement with regard to the future, and disgust with regard to the past!"

Thomas Carlyle ,"I am as good as without hope; a sad old man gazing into the final chasm."

Thomas Hobbes, the political philosopher and skeptic who dishonored some of England's great men: "If I had the whole world, I would give anything to live one day. I shall be glad to find a hole to creep out of the world at. I am about to take a fearful leap in the dark!"

Thomas Payne, originally one of America’s great patriots in his book:  'The Age of Reason' mocked the Christian religion.  His friends gradually shied away.  He left America and while in England faced an untimely death.  On his deathbed he said to a friend ‘I would give worlds if I had them, if the ‘Age of Reason’ had never been published.  Oh Lord help me.  Christ help me. You stay with me.  It is hell to be left alone.”

Voltaire is one of the few men in Europe who attempted to get rid of the Bible and the knowledge of God from the minds of the people. The Christian physician who attended Voltaire during his last ailment later wrote about the experience: "When I compare the death of a righteous man, which is like the close of a beautiful day, with that of Voltaire, I see the difference between bright, serene weather and a black thunderstorm. It was my lot that this man should die under my hands. Often did I tell him the truth, 'Yes, my friend,' he would often say to me, 'you are the only one who has given me good advice. Had I but followed it, I should not be in the horrible condition in which I now am. I have swallowed nothing but smoke. I have intoxicated myself with the incense that turned my head. You can do nothing for me. His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I would not want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

William Pitt, British statesman and youngest recorded prime minister:  “I throw myself on the mercy of God, through the merits of Jesus Christ.”

William E. Henley, an atheist, wrote a famous poem, the last two lines of which have often been quoted: "Out of the night that covers me, "Black as the pit from pole to pole, "I thank whatever gods may be. "Beyond this place of wrath and tears "Looms but the horror of the shade; "And yet the menace of the years "Finds, and shall find, me unafraid. "It matters not how strait the gate, "How charged with punishment the scroll, "I am the master of my fate; "I am the captain of my soul. " Men who have been audacious in their rebellion against God praised Henley's poem, but most of them were unaware that he had later suicide.

This reminded me of comments on FB page where I posted an article which talked about  death. I asked them permission if it’s alright to share it. I do not know if they responded because it’s really hard to filter my notification which reaches up to 200 a day.  If ever they coincidentally read, I can remove this should they express their disapproval:

If asked, which do you prefer, the one who is dying with a peaceful and grateful mind that says, “Lord, thank you for this life.  Though I did not see You in my entire life, I followed Your will to turn not only to what is beneficial to me but to the people around me.”? Or the one while on his/her deathbed feels the desire to fill the missing gap which is too late enough and remain grumbling even up to the point of his death than appreciation of what he had gone through out of this life because of mentality that clouded his/her heart that, “to see is to believe” than to believe before you see.” 

We should be reminded that not all that could be found in this earth are visible.  We can’t see how our heart responds when it feels the desire to love but we see how blissful and prolific we are in our affairs at home, corporate commitment and social relationship because of disposition that is enveloped with love.   We can’t see how our conscience processes when it balances the right and wrong but we continue to believe and be connected to our conscience because it filters everything what our minds feed that is significant not only for our personal gratification but for the common good.   We don’t see how our brain organizes the concepts of productivity that the opportunity gives us but we continue to believe on the provision of our thoughts that we can go further because we believe that it is perfectly created for our own survival.  When interwoven together, these beliefs on our faculties whose activities are not internally visible but whose output are externally perceptible, we continue to believe on ourselves.  Similarly, although we don’t see God physically, we continue to believe Him because His golden rule which is to “Love your neighbour as you love yourself” has been proven as the strongest foundation that links to unity, decency, tranquility and optimized harvest at home, community, church and society.


References:

  1. Jarrod Jacobs, A Man may Live a Lie - but His Deathbed Tells the Truth!, http://www.southside-churchofchrist.com
  2. How Atheists and Infidels Die, http://www.present-truth.org
  3. Elijah C. Clark, Atheists' Famous Last Death Words, http://www.darkfiber.com
  4. James E Archer, An Atheist's World View: 15 Principles of Atheism, http://www.unitedstatesatheists.com
  5. The Ethical Atheist Test,  http://www.atheism-analyzed.net
  6. Kristy Mapp, Last Words, http://www.oh-mag.com
  7. Mother-Teresa-s-words-on-fear-of-dying, http://www.catholicforum.com
  8. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9377134/ns/world_news-europe/t/let-me-go-house-father/#.VDzVjbCUcw8
  9. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4257994.stm, John Paul's last words revealed
  10. The Last Words of Famous Atheists in History, http://www.godvine.com/The-Last-Words-of-Famous-Atheists-in-History-33.html
  11. Famous Atheists Last Words before Dying, http://www.nairaland.com/746723/famous-atheists-last-words-before

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adsense

Adsense

Adesense



yourimagetitle
Visit us @ FRIENDS OF THE DIVINE MERCY
Visit us @ FRIENDS OF THE DIVINE MERCY

Adsense

Adsense